Schneier on SET

David Honig honig at otc.net
Sun Mar 8 10:44:19 PST 1998

from Internet World, 2 Mar 98, "Reply to All" (reader feedback)

Credit card transactions over the Net are new, but
not overly different.

We know how to do credit card transactions where there
is no physical card: over the pohne.  And we know how to
establish a secure merchant-customer session: via SSL.
SET is a complicated, server-intensive protocol, and I have trouble
believing
 its possible to implement a two-inch-thick standard without security bugs.
 I'm not surprised merchants are so slow in acepting it.  Why bother?

[signed by Bruce Schneier]