Login Tripwire Protocols

David Honig honig at otc.net
Fri Mar 6 09:48:28 PST 1998

At 08:38 PM 3/5/98 -0500, andrew fabbro wrote:
>Can you build a reliable login tripwire on a machine where you don't
>have root access and root is likely a malicious character?  The answer
>is...maybe!  It requires a fairly sophisticated protocol and a lot of
>work...here are three of my ideas that didn't pan out, one that probably
>would, and a lot of caveats.  I'd appreciate comments, criticism,
>etc. from other 'punks.

Look up Ross Anderson et al's paper, Programming Satan's Computer, in
which a similarly omnipotent and malicious programming environment is
discussed.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig at otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"But if we have to use force,
it is because we are America;
we are the indispensable nation."
---Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright
http://www.jya.com/see-far.htm