Radio Frequency Warfare Hearing

David Honig honig at otc.net
Tue Mar 3 11:38:51 PST 1998

At 12:56 PM 3/2/98 -0800, bill.stewart at pobox.com wrote:
>At 08:17 AM 2/28/98 -0500, John Young wrote:
>>We offer the lengthy prepared testimony at the Joint
>>Economic Committee hearing February 25 on "Radio Frequency
>>Weapons and Proliferation: Potential Impact on the Economy."
>>  http://jya.com/rfw-jec.htm  (112K)
>
>John!  You can't do that!  That's putting bomb-making information
>on the Internet!

Its not bomb-making, its destructive testing apparatus :-)

>On a slightly more serious note, I'm surprised from the
>excerpts of the description that the $500 of parts would
>generate enough joules of electrical energy induced into
>sensitive parts of computer equipment in some reasonable range
>to do a lot of damage.

Wasn't he talking about EMI, not actual frying of chips (e.g.,
puncturing the 100's-of-nm-thick gate oxides in MOS)?
I read only the excerpt, but isn't a spark gap used for
generating a broad spectrum, including fairly high
frequencies (think tesla coil)?

Digital circuits don't like transients in their signals.
High frequency RF is invasive.
Capacitors are cheap.

      David Honig                   Orbit Technology
     honig at otc.net                  Intaanetto Jigyoubu

"Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is
always a vice." ---Thomas Paine