CIA 4 Nags: Hackers Crypto Y2K Foreigners

Ernest Hua Hua at teralogic-inc.com
Thu Jun 25 12:28:55 PDT 1998

It is my humble opinion that possession of something physical that the
average person does not have the means to manufacture without
significant cost is very different from possession of something anyone
with high school math/CS skills can create from freely available books.

Now, if, next week, someone demonstrates a gun or some other physical
offensive weapon easily manufacturable using off the shelf parts at $10
a pop with less than $50 start-up costs (these numbers must include the
entire mechanism; in the case of a gun, it would include the bullets).

My objection to crypto regulations have nothing to do with rights; it
has to do with enforcement.  If you have almost no hope of enforcing
significant percentages of the violations of a crime law without posting
policemen at every PC and workstation, it would seem that the law is
pointless.  If the behavior is truly undesirable, then other means are
required to minimize the negative consequences of that behavior.

If you or anyone else really really want to follow up on this line of
discussion, please E-Mail me directly, and I will be happy to Cc: anyone
else expressing interest; I suspect I will not want to waste net
bandwidth debating this because it is largely theoretical.

Ern