Crypto Books/Archive

Jason storm at uit.net
Wed Jun 17 09:52:05 PDT 1998

> I have this idea bout making a cryptography program that will encrypt
> pictures. I know that you can do this with PGP, but I mean it in a
> little different way. What I want to do is this: You have opened a
> picture in, ACDSee for example, and you want some of the picture only
> for a certain person. So you chose that part of the picture, encrypt
> it, and send it to the person you want. What do you guys think?

Jan,

 I can't say that I full understand what you're doing, or maybe I just don't
see why you're doing it. If you mean that you want to take part of a picture
and encrypt it and send it to someone, couldn't you just crop the desired
section of the image out and save it as a different file, then encrypt it
via PGP, etc. I don't see how encrypting part of a picture is any different
than, say.. cutting part of a text file out and saving it to another file
and encrypting that portion of it. That isn't to say that if you had some
new form of encryption that it wouldn't be worth exploring, only that I tend
to question the originality or usefulness (relative to current, widely
available crypto technology) of your concept. Maybe you could explain it in
more detail to us.

...Jason Sloderbeck
stom at uit.net
Plasmic Computer Systems