FWD: backdoor trojan in ICKill

Dark Knight DarkKnight at Elitehackers.org
Thu Jun 11 23:04:32 PDT 1998

> At 11:00 PM 6/10/98 +0200, a remailer user forwarded
> a message From: Bachrach <bachrach at netreach.net>
> about a major security backdoor in ICKill, a utility that
> apparently augments or hangs around ICQ - it's a little-documented
> feature designed into the system rather than a bug or unexpected behaviour.
> More information is at
> > http://members.tripod.com/~hakz/ICQ/index.html
> >My last question is this: if one person has backdoors into thousands of
> >computer systems, doesn't that pose some sort of risk to the interent
> >community as a whole? There's one person who's been saying that I should
> >notify the FBI about this. As you can see  decided to start here first.
>
> Don't tell the FBI - they'll just want to use it themselves.  :-!
>
> Is there some way to locate and reach ICKill users directly?
> Do they show up on ICQ in some useful manner?
> (I don't use either of the products....)  Directly notifying them
> could help the problem, or at least generate a number of
> emails to the author who put the feature in there.

Well the way I see it the author of ICKill told the company that puts out
ICQ that you have this problem and you need to fix it..  The way he's
looking at it is fix this because it's a problem.  They did not fix it
after his requests to have them fix this so he shared it.  I don't think
he did anything wrong in this case.  Any way like the FBI could figure out
how to use it I don't give them that much credit as it is.

			|)ark |(night

DEFINITION.
Windows 95: n.   32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for
a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't
stand 1 bit of competition.

Http://www.EliteHackers.org/DarkKnight