Hooray Mondex

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Tue Jul 21 09:28:15 PDT 1998

Here's a Chase-Mondex user's report from Manhattan's upper
west side test bed:

1. We got about 20 of the first cards and sent them around the
globe to crackers. None shared the fruits but a few came back
with requests, see 2 :

2. By special request of sweettalking crackers who had heard
about the first batch, we got a few more, and knowing these folks
were honest, we loaded the cards with a few bucks from our
bank account as they asked, "for testing." Days later we were broke.

3. Chase refilled our account and apologized for insufficient
protection from electronic bandits. The bandits sent us 50%
of what they stole: $12.00. Rudely wrote: get a job.

4. Recently, we got two of Citibank's cards with $5.00 each on
them. Tried for days to get local merchants to take them, none
would because they lacked a unique magnetic stripe they'd
been advised to watch for, which, we later learned, once swiped
could tap into global data banks on the user, clean their
accounts, screw their records, erase the institutionalized mugging,
leave an audit showing it was the irresponsible military-site
crackers who did it.

5. We got $5,000,000 digi-cash for that info from SDA, who
got it from the institutions running the Mondex banditry:
those ACP recommends the Commerce Department grant
license exceptions for the export of encryption products of
any strength that have been determined to be "legitimate
and responsible."[*]

Happily Legitimate and Responsible

* http://jya.com/acp-dier.htm