Bye Homeland Liberty

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Thu Jul 9 15:52:29 PDT 1998

Note the single mention of cyber warfare, hooked to chemical
and biological dangers.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/

Remarks by Deputy Secretary of Defense John J. Hamre
Commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Recall of
George Washington to Active Duty
Mount Vernon, Virginia
Saturday, July 4, 1998

[Snip]

Two hundred years ago, Washington was called back to service
to prepare America's defenses.  Today, the American homeland
faces a new and different danger.  The threat is not from overt
invasion, but from the sinister dangers of chemical, biological
and cyber warfare.  Chemical and biological weapons are a poor
man's atomic bomb.  They are easier to build, to hide, and to
deliver to their targets.  They are especially appealing to
small terrorist cells and known individuals who can not challenge
American military superiority on the battlefield.

As in Washington's time, America is not yet fully prepared for this
new challenge. We too must organize, plan, and act anew. We too
must recognize that complacency and delay is dangerous. President
Clinton and Secretary of Defense Cohen have made preparing the
American homeland against chemical and biological weapons a top
priority.  The continental United States has not confronted a
direct threat to its territory in this century precisely because
we have confronted threats before they touched our shores.  But
this is a new era, where adversaries can bring their fight to our
doorstep.  National security now must assume a new dimension.

The Department of Defense and the intelligence community must work
hand in hand with law enforcement to deal with this far-reaching
threat.  We are taking steps to improve our knowledge of hostile
elements and their plans.  We are reorganizing the Defense
Department to integrate our approach to counter-proliferation of
these terrible new weapons, and we are launching new programs to
help local emergency response forces to mitigate the effects of
chemical and biological attack.

[Snip]

Shortly, we will commemorate this day by planting a new tree,
adding to Washington's beloved "shades of Mount Vernon."  We place
it here as a mark of gratitude to a leader who accepted the burdens
of public service to defend our young republic.  We also place it
here to mark our commitment to ensure future generations will live
in peace and security.  One hundred years from now we will not be
here, but I hope Americans will gather under this tree to celebrate
the 300th anniversary of Washington's act of patriotic sacrifice.
And I hope they will also say, of us, that we too left a measure
of our day and, by our deeds, we too preserved the safety of this
sweet land of liberty.

Thank you all for coming today.

-END-