IP: "CyberCash can't oust credit cards"

Dave Birch daveb-lists at mail.hyperion.co.uk
Wed Jul 8 12:10:46 PDT 1998

Ryan Lackey said

>I think resistance to new payment schemes on the part of a merchant is in
>cost and effort to set up.  Having a free apache commerce plugin which
>handles
>a variety of payment systems...

What's wrong with this model is that it imports historical physical
models that are irrelevant on the Net. Why does the merchant take
payments at all?

Imagine this scenario: you go into the Good Guys and buy a Walkman. The
clerk gives you a ticket. You go round to your branch of Wells Fargo and
get a cashiers cheque made out to the merchant, walk round to the
merchant's branch of BankAmerica -- or BankBank, or whatever it's called
now :) -- and deposit the cheque in the merchants account. BankBank gives
you a receipt which you take back to the Good Guys and pick up your
Walkman. Now, apart from all of the walking around, this is not a bad
system. The Good Guys don't need cash registers, links to First Data etc
etc. The Good Guys don't need to put up stickers saying "we take Visa",
because the bank takes everything. The Good Guys don't care how you paid.

The bank is much better placed than the merchant to handle the risks
associated with payments and therefore the information asymmetries
associated with the payment are significantly reduced (there's a good
article about this in the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta's Economic
Review, 1Q98). On the Net, there's no walking around.

In the physical world, it clearly makes no sense for every bank to build
a network out to every merchant: hence it makes sense to have physical
payment instruments (e.g. notes, cheques) and credit/charge cards. On the
Net, though, every participant is connected. When you buy a book from
Amazon, what is the point of sending your credit card details to Amazon
just so that they can send the details on to an acquiring network,
third-party processor etc. Surely it makes more sense for merchants to
have deals with payment agents (this is the model in OTP, Smart Access
etc). When you press the button marked "Pay" on your browser, wouldn't it
be more natural for a message to go to your bank than to the merchant?

Thus, I get a "ticket" from Amazon saying "you owe $20 for this book". I
pass the ticket to a payment agent (which may be a bank) and pay them
(the negotiation being between my wallet and the agent"). The agent sends
me a receipt to keep: I send the receipt to Amazon and they send me a
book. Alternatively, perhaps the receipt let's me play Doom for a month
or get ten upgrade to an item of software or whatever.

All Amazon care is that the money has been paid: what do they care
whether I used DigiCash or Mondex, Visa or MasterCard? You might argue
that the merchant would discount for cleared funds (pay by Mondex and get
2% off) but I think that its frankly too much bother for them to work out
N different prices by M different payment methods. I would imagine that
just a merchants run loyalty schemes ("double points if you buy
cornflakes") then so would payment agents ("double points for DigiCash")
but each could operate their business independently.

I would argue that the idea that merchants take payments is outdated.
Since merchants don't care about cypherpunk favourites such as bearer
instruments and anonymity, they'll be perfectly happy to have an
acquiring account with BigBank and get a statement at the end of the
month that details the payments taken and says "Money collected $1000,
our fee $50, deposited to your account $950". Now, the merchant hasn't
had to buy a commerce server, negiotiate 10 different acquiring
agreements, implement SET or do anything else. Hey, so it's 5%: so what?

Regards,
Dave Birch.

=== mailto:daveb at hyperion.co.uk ===== http://www.hyperion.co.uk/ ===