IP: "CyberCash can't oust credit cards"

John R Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Jul 7 11:20:03 PDT 1998

> >2. Three orders of magnitude cost reduction.

CyberCash's entire business model for e-cash is wrong.  They ask for a 4%
slice of each transaction, which is absurd.  How much do issuers of real cash
ask per transaction?  Zero, of course.

As I've mentioned before, the way you make money with money is seignorage,
that is you print it and make your profit on the float and on coins that are
never redeemed.  Works great for travellers checks.  I suspect that Bob H.
would agree.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47