Feb. 6 column -- Where to start

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Sat Jan 31 14:21:54 PST 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 01:09:30 -0800
To: cathy at engr.colostate.edu
From: Vin_Suprynowicz at lvrj.com (Vin Suprynowicz)
Subject: Feb. 6 column -- Where to start

    FROM MOUNTAIN MEDIA
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE DATED FEB. 6, 1998
    THE LIBERTARIAN, By Vin Suprynowicz
    Getting started

    S.J. writes from Johns Hopkins:

  "Vin -- I have found and enjoyed your web page
(http://www.nguworld.com/vindex/). I am also recently reading David Boaz's
book "Libertarianism: A Primer." I have been accused by professors of being
a Libertarian. I really was not sure what one was. Thus my recent readings.
I have many questions and no one to dialogue with. If you have time, could
you tell me places I may check here in Washington D.C. ..."

   Egon, whose locale I don't know, similarly inquires:

  "... Incidently, I both enjoy and dread (reading your columns.) So few
people realize how this country was intended. There is no other country in
which the citizens are "sovereign," with all the rights of a king reserved
to the people. But at the same time, the government has craftily changed
things around. And so, the real question:  Can you point me in a direction
to information about how to help address these issues, or people to talk to
about them?"

    #  #  #

  Since informing others must always start with informing ourselves, I
suggested that both fellows they lay hands on a couple of recent catalogs
from Laissez Faire Books, 938 Howard St., Suite 202, San Francisco 94103;
tel. 415-541-9780; e-mail orders to orders at laissezfaire.org.

  Beginners may want to look for Thomas Szasz, Burton Folsom, Albert J.
Nock, John Taylor Gatto, and Ayn Rand. Laissez Faire now lists L. Neil
Smith's "Bretta Martin," which is good, but not "Pallas," which would be
better. Also missing are John Ross' "Unintended Consequences" (Accuracy
Press) and Claire Wolfe's "101 Things to Do Till the Revolution"
(Loompanics.)

  It's also worth getting on the mailing list of the Cato Institute, at 100
Mass. Ave. NW, in Washington D.C., 20001 (tel. 202-842-0200), and of Bumper
Hornberger's Future of Freedom Foundation (e-mail FFFVA at compuserve.com), in
Northern Virginia.

  The Ludwig von mises Institute (owner-misesmail at colossus.net), tel.
334-844-2500 puts out some nifty economic publications, and for e-mail on
jury rights issues you can't beat the Jury Rights Project, e-mail
jrights at levellers.org; web page www.lrt.org/jrp.homepage.htm.

  Leading the new battle against the national ID card is the Coalition to
Repeal the Fingerprints Law, Suite 133, 5446 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.,
Atlanta 30341; voice mail 404-250-8105; web site
www.atlantainfoguide.com/repeal/.

  I seem to have fallen out of touch with the Separation of School and
State Alliance, based in California; maybe they'll send me some up-to-date
contact information.

  President Brenda Grantland tells me the group Forfeiture Endangers
American Rights has recently opened an office in D.C., and may be in a
position to welcome volunteer help as well as contributions. Contact
Interim Director Tom Gordon at the F.E.A.R. Foundation,  P.O. Box 15421
Washington, D.C. 20003; tel. 202-546-4381, or toll free at 1-888-FEAR-001;
e-mail TomGordon at fear.org; web site http://www.fear.org.

  Other groups worth contacting for information -- and supporting with
donations or volunteer help -- include the Fully-Informed Jury Association
at Box 59, Helmville, Montana 59843, tel. 406-793-5550, and Aaron Zelman's
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, 2874 S. Wentworth Ave.,
Milwaukee, Wisc. 53207, tel. 414-769-0760 (web site http://www.JPFO.org;
e-mail Against-Genocide at JPFO.org.)

  JPFO welcomes "righteous goyim," or non-Jews, and in fact never even asks
prospective members their religion.

  I used to think JPFO was the only truly principled gun-rights
organization in the nation, holding that ANY "gun control" is an inevitable
precursor to new genocides. I am now, finally, ready to submit that there
are two.

  I have been watching for some years the development of Larry Pratt's Gun
Owners of America, based at 8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, Va.
22151; tel. 703-321-8585; web site http://www.gunowners.org; e-mail
goaslad at aol.com.

  Folks have always called GOA "the other gun group," in deference to the
massive and cholesterol-clogged National Rifle Association.

  Enemies of freedom always enjoy caricaturing ther NRA as a bunch of
buck-toothed hunters in plaid shirts, blasting away at Bambi with a
bazooka.

  But let me make a fearless prediction right here: as the lean little GOA
strides onto their battlefield like an adolescent saber-tooth, the forces
of victim disarmament are going to start waxing reminiscent about the warm,
happy days when their only "opposition" was that walnut-brained
brontosaurus, the NRA.

  The NRA's lobbying philosophy has long been to ridicule Libertarians or
Independents who may be TRUE devotees of our Second Amendment rights,
instead cynically endorsing and even funding the "lesser of two evils"
among the two candidates representing the Republicrat and Demopublican
branches of the Big Government Party.

  This NRA spending and lobbying philosophy is all about "buying access,"
but as Mr. Pratt of GOA says, "It's all based on a defeatist attitude. They
think we've lost, that we have a bad bargaining position, so all we can do
is make the best deal we can with this tyrant."

  Recently, NRA lobbyists have even twisted arms in state legislatures
around the nation to INCREASE the cost and "training" rigmarole required to
lay hands of a state "concealed carry permit" ... the better to insure the
standards are the same nationwide.

  GOA thinks permit requirements should be identical in every state, too
... identical to the current law in Vermont, which requires no permit for
concealed carry, at all, and which has "the lowest murder rate in the
country," smiles Mr. Pratt.

   "But the 'access' lobbyists, if their approach was right, why do we keep
losing ground?" Pratt asked his enthusiastic Las Vegas crowd.

  Next time: The GOA plays hardball.

Vin Suprynowicz is the assistant editorial page editor of the Las Vegas
Review-Journal. Readers may contact him via e-mail at vin at lvrj.com. The web
site for the Suprynowicz column is at http://www.nguworld.com/vindex/. The
column is syndicated in the United States and Canada via Mountain Media
Syndications, P.O. Box 4422, Las Vegas Nev. 89127.

***

Vin Suprynowicz,   vin at lvrj.com

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace.
We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that
feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget
that ye were our countrymen."    -- Samuel Adams

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>