Predicting cipher life / NSA rigged DES? ...

Uhh...this is Joe [Randall Farmer] rfarmer at HiWAAY.net
Sat Jan 31 08:23:48 PST 1998

> I had tended to not take too seriously the posts of someone who signs himself
> as "Uhh...this is Joe,"

That was probably a good idea.

> but the reasoning he displays below makes me take him more seriously:

Ooh, bad move! :)

> ...the amount of time should be replaced by "effort expended."

That was what I meant, although my wording of it was sort of ambiguous; "years
of analysis," "analysis-hours," etc. refer to the time the cryptographers
actually spent on studying the cipher, not the time elapsed since the cipher's
release.

[...]
> --Tim May
>

> The Feds have shown their hand: they want a ban on domestic cryptography
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> ComSec 3DES:   408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Higher Power: 2^2,976,221   | black markets, collapse of governments.
> "National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."

Randall Farmer
    rfarmer at hiwaay.net
    http://hiwaay.net/~rfarmer