Netscape 5 will be GPL'ed

Tom Weinstein tomw at netscape.com
Mon Jan 26 19:34:56 PST 1998

Markus Kuhn wrote:
> root wrote on 1998-01-23 01:29 UTC:
>
>> [Press Releases]
>> http://www.netscape.com/newsref/pr/newsrelease558.html?cp=nws01flh1
>>
>> NETSCAPE ANNOUNCES PLANS TO MAKE NEXT-GENERATION COMMUNICATOR SOURCE
>> CODE AVAILABLE FREE ON THE NET
>
> Excellent!
>
> Finally mainstream software companies start to understand that security
> critical software has to be provided to the customer in full compilable
> source code to allow independent security evaluation.

Don't hold your breath.  We're still bound by US export regulations, so
we won't be able to export crypto-relevant source code.  We'll release what
we can, but you probably won't be satisfied.

Of course, there's always the option for some enterprising individuals
outside the US to replace the missing pieces.

--
What is appropriate for the master is not appropriate| Tom Weinstein
for the novice.  You must understand Tao before      | tomw at netscape.com
transcending structure.  -- The Tao of Programming   |