Fear, loathing, and Bill Gates (fwd)

Declan McCullagh declan at vorlon.mit.edu
Mon Jan 26 14:55:54 PST 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:14:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
To: politech at vorlon.mit.edu
Subject: FC: Fear, loathing, and Bill Gates

********

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:42:08 -0500
From: Don Bx <dboudreaux at fee.org>
To: declan at well.com
Subject: Re: More on Don Boudreaux "Calm Down" letter on Microsoft

Declan,

	I had a thought that I must share.

	In reflecting upon the genuine hatred and fear that people increasingly
have for Bill Gates and Microsoft, it occurred to me that this hatred and
fear have much in common with the hatred and fear stirred up a decade or so
ago against Japan.  In both cases, people proved their affection for
Japanese goods by buying them, but they also grew leary of Japan after
being barraged on the air-waves by idiot pundits who insinuated that Japan
had some sort of recipe for taking over the American economy.  Economic
serfdom was near, avoidable only by trade restraints.

	And, of course, behind this fear-mongering were U.S. rent-seeking firms
that sought to be relieved of having to compete as vigorously as otherwise.

	Needless to say, Japan was never a threat to "take over" the American
economy, or to harm it in any way.  The same is true of Microsoft (as long
as it doesn't rely upon government favors).

	The fear and hatred in both cases -- against Japan in the 1980s and
against MS today -- is illogical and uninformed.  But it is, for MS,
increasingly real.

Don

*********