Video & cryptography... (fwd)

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Mon Jan 26 14:11:07 PST 1998

Jim Choate wrote:
| > From: Adam Shostack <adam at homeport.org>
| > Subject: Re: Video & cryptography...
| > Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:56:57 -0500 (EST)
|
| > Schneier, Wagner and Kelsey have done some work on an authenticating
| > camera.

Dave points out that this was Schneier, Hall and Kelsey.

| > One issue to be concerned with is that what the camera sees is not
| > always the truth.  Putting a film set together to film bigfoot is
| > easy.  The fact that the film is authenticated as having come from the
| > camera doesn't mean a whole lot in some cases.
|
| Doesn't this same sort of issue arise from any other digital signature
| process then? There should be nothing fundamentaly different between the
| characteristics of a video camera signing a frame than a person signing
| email.

	It arises in a different context; with a signature on paper,
you're generally indicating that you've read and consented to whats on
the paper, not that you created it.  The meaning of a camera signing a
video still is not obvious to me.  Is it intended to be 'this is what
we saw through the lens?' or 'this is what really happened?'

Adam

					               -Hume