Tossing your cookies [Re: Why no "Banner Ad Eaters"?]

Jim Gillogly jim at acm.org
Sun Jan 25 09:25:16 PST 1998

Heinz-Juergen Keller skribis:
> Just a silly? question on cookies:
> What will happen if I just link cookies.txt to /dev/null ?
> Is there anything speaking against this solution?

Works fine on Unix and Linux systems if you're not a cookie fan:
the remote sites think you've eaten their cookies, but you've
merely frisbeed them into the bit bin.

It's better than telling Netscape you want to be asked: some
sites set a dozen cookies per hit, seems like, and saying "no"
to each gets immediately tedious.  If you tell Netscape to reject
them, some sites won't serve you the content.  Setting the browser
to accept everything and linking cookies.txt to /dev/null works
well for me.

--
	Jim Gillogly
	Highday, 4 Solmath S.R. 1998, 17:05