Update on New Zealand crypto policy

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 24 03:23:02 PST 1998

As part of my recent effort to prepare a useful home page after 2 years of
having instead a mini text adventure, I've finally got around to finishing off
the web page containing the recent history of, and current state of, New
Zealands crypto export policy as decided by several intelligence agencies and
a supporting cast of bungling bureaucrats.  This policy has resulted in New
Zealand enjoying the dubious distinction of having the strictest export
controls on earth, with everything ranging from crypto hardware down to
software, library books, computer magazines, and journals being restricted
from export.  It's not even possible for a university to publish academic
research without prior permission from a government agency, and the
requirements for obtaining this permission are structured to ensure that they
can never be fulfilled.  You can find the information on:

  http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/policy/

The page also contains links to a sizeable collection of never-before-
published documents including correspondence with relevant government
agencies, and media reports on the situation.

If you're going to send me mail about this, please note that I'll be at Usenix
in San Antonio for the next week, so it'll take awhile for me to reply.  My
PGP key's at the bottom of my home page if you need it.

Peter.