How to eliminate liability?

John M estoy at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 14:20:15 PST 1998

Bill,

Thanks for your response.  Such a simple idea, I kinda figgered (was
hoping) that it was already thought of, but I hadn't heard of it.  I
have been meaning to buy Schneier's book...

One of my points, however, is that if the division of the encrypted
information is done properly, even if the private key were deduced by
whatever means, all they would find is (for instance) the high order
bits and some ECC, but nothing that could be used to regenerate any
meaningful information without the other parts.  Because of this, I have
been asking myself, how could any one datahaven operator be held
responsible for holding classified, porn, or other information if they
only have a meaningless slice of it?

Perhaps this is more a legal question (even more out of my league) than
anything...  Any comments?