Misty???

Adam Shostack adam at homeport.org
Thu Jan 22 07:53:32 PST 1998

Carlisle Adams included it in his list of interesting cipherss in his
talk at RSA.

Lars Knudsen's Block Cipher Lounge does not list any known attacks.
http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~knudsen/bc

Matsui, its designer, is not stupid.  He did the linear cryptanalysis
of DES, which I think was the invention of linear cryptanalysis.

Adam

William H. Geiger III wrote:

| Well on another mailing list I have been chastised for calling Misty
| "snake-oil".
|
| Has anyone actually examined this algorithm? Seems there is an IETF Draft
| on it (draft-ohta-misty1desc-00.txt).
|
| Any opinions on it?? My only exposure has be through the pidgon-english
| posts of Nobuki Nakatuji (if it looks like a duck, it smells like a duck,
| it quacks like a duck ....).

					               -Hume