Fwd: FYI: Jefferson Club: "A World of Strong Privacy: Promises and Perils of Encryption"

Robert Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Jan 19 08:01:43 PST 1998

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:58:21 -0800
To: mac crypto list <mac-crypto at vmeng.com>
From: Vinnie Moscaritolo <vinnie at vmeng.com>
Subject: Fwd: FYI: Jefferson Club: "A World of Strong Privacy: Promises
 and Perils of Encryption"
Sender: <mac-crypto at vmeng.com>

>>The Jefferson Club is proud to present:
>>David Friedman, Professor of Law at Santa Clara University
>>to speak on
>>"A World of Strong Privacy: Promises and Perils of Encryption"
>>
>>Luncheon
>>Wednesday, February 25th
>>12:00 noon
>>Ming's Villa in Palo Alto
>>
>>Reserve your place at http://www.ipser.com/jeffersonclub.
>>
>>A major theme in discussions of the influence of technology on society has
>>been the computer as a threat to privacy. It now appears that the truth is
>>precisely opposite. Three technologies associated with computers, public key
>>encryption, networking, and virtual reality, are in the process of giving us
>>a level of privacy never known before. The U.S. government is currently
>>intervening in an attempt, not to protect privacy, but to prevent it.
>>
>>Professor Friedman will explain the technologies and demonstrate that current
>>developments, if they continue, will produce a world of strong privacy, a
>>world
>>in which large parts of our lives are technologically protected from the
>>observation of others. He will discuss the likely consequences,
>>attractive and
>>unattractive, of that change and provide a brief account of attempts by
>>the U.S.
>>government to prevent or control the rise of privacy.
>>
>>For a preview of the talk, see "A World of Strong Privacy: Promises and
>>Perils of
>>Encryption"
>>(http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Academic/Strong_Privacy/Strong_Privacy.html)
>>Come prepared with questions for Professor Friedman.
>>
>>For more information or to reserve your place, visit:
>>http://www.ipser.com/jeffersonclub
>>

>_

Vinnie Moscaritolo
http://www.vmeng.com/vinnie/
Fingerprint: 3F903472C3AF622D5D918D9BD8B100090B3EF042

     "You can get a lot more with a smile and a gun
     then a smile, alone."
			- Al Capone

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah at shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/
Ask me about FC98 in Anguilla!: <http://www.fc98.ai/>