FCPUNX:Anonymous IRC (was 'Cypherpunks IRC Christmas Eve Party')

wayne clerke wclerke at emirates.net.ae
Sun Jan 18 18:29:08 PST 1998

[...]

> >What's the reason behind the policy direction against the use of personal
web
> >proxies running in a (paid for) shell account?
> >Seems like less risk than you already accept anyway. Something I've
missed?

> System load is the issue in this case. If a proxy becomes publicly known
> the load it imposes on the system could quickly become gigantic. In
> addition we found that people were setting up proxies on any old port,
> sometimes causing all kinds of conflicts.
>
> Our accounts are priced assuming light personal usage. Running servers on
> our systems is negotiable.

It seems this was just stated on the list for advertizing purposes.

It's not so negotiable that private emails are responded to.

> 	-Lance

> Lance Cottrell   loki at infonex.com
> PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server.
> http://www.infonex.com/~loki/

Mail: <a href= mailto:wclerke at emirates.net.ae >Wayne Clerke</a>
PGP key id: AEB2546D  F/P: D663D11EDA19D74F5032DC7EE001B702
PGP key id: 57AA1C10  F/P: 9926BF8918B7EB3623A7 AFA46572C5B857AA1C10
PGP mail welcome.			Voice: +971 506 43 4853
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.