proving that one knows how to break RSA

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM dlv at bwalk.dm.com
Sun Jan 18 18:25:09 PST 1998

Adam Back <aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk> writes:
> Dimitri Vulis <dlv at bwalk.dm.com> writes:
> > Bill Payne was with Sandia national lab (where they quite a bit of
> > crypto work) Bill claims to have discovered a very fast
> > factorization algorithm using shift registers, which he refuses to
> > publish. While I haven't seen the algorithm, I believe he may well
> > be right.
>
> Bill Payne's claim to having discovered a faster factorization
> algorithm than the current state of the art, allows us to invoke the
> oft discussed mechanisms for the author to prove this ability without
> divulging the algorithm, and then proceed to sell the algorithm to the
> highest bidder, whilst minimizing his chances of being killed.
I believe Bill is genuinely afraid that if he published his algorithm,
then he'll be killed. I don't know enough to judge how realistic his
fear is. I've been involved in serious discussions of assassinations
over smaller amounts of money than is at stake here. He displays great
courage by saying anything at all at this point.

I also have an extremely high opinion of Bill's (and Adam Back's) technical
abiltities. That is, I'd be much less surprised if Bill Payne (or Adam Back)
comes up with some truly remarkable breakthrough than someone I've never
heard of or someone I heard of and don't have such a high opinion of.

Yes, it would be most interesting/impressive if Bill demonstrated his
ability to factor using some of the published chalenges.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM