let's do it: NYT ad with hash of fingerprints

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 15:49:48 PST 1998

Randall Farmer <rfarmer at HiWAAY.net> writes:
> > > [...] perhaps by looking in the NY Times for 1 Jan 1999 which has a
> > > full page ad taken out by Cypherpunks Anonymous with the PGP public
> > > keys for the 100 leading cypherpunks.
> >
> > Pretty expensive and rather unrealistic I suspect.
>
> The NYT ad? I think that was at least partly a joke (besides, if
> some cypherpunks did take out an ad, I'd predict propaganda in 2/3
> of the page and fine-print PGP-key fingerprints in the rest :).

I would have thought you would take out a cheap personals section
advertisement and print one hash output and a URL.  The hash ouput
would be the hash of the hashes of a chosen set of public key
fingerprints.

Say some group of list members ponies up the cost of the ad, and then
a list of people wishing to have their key hashed is drawn up.  We
collect their public keys, post them on the web page, and take out the
ad.

I would be interested to do this.  What do personals ads in the NYT
cost?

We might also like to think before hand about how to obtain best
utility from the hash we publish.  We could even offer a key server
with a regularly published hash which retained information to inform
which subset of keys corresponds to each days hash output
advertisement.

You may as well include a second hash for a time stamping service hash
tree output while you're at it.  (Or we could combine the two hashes
into one hash).

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...