Nanotechnology

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sat Jan 17 13:09:26 PST 1998

The Sheriff wrote:

> >I think people here seriously underestimate how long nanotech will take.
> >Suppose you have a machine which takes atoms and deposits them onto a
> >surface, building it up layer by layer.  This is possible with today's
> >technology, but it's a slow process.
>
> I don't think it's that far away.  Decades (or at least
> years) ago, the US Navy developed a laser so focused and
> controlled it could write messages on one face of a cube
> of salt.

You can also push atoms around with an AFM.  It's just slow.  But even if
it did take a week or two to make something, it would still be practical.
You'd probably have to wait a week to get something delivered by
mail-order, so you might as well make it yourself.

I wonder what Tim 'copyright is dead' May will think when anyone can make
a Pentium clone in their back bedroom. :)