Eternity - an alternative approach (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Fri Jan 16 14:45:59 PST 1998

Forwarded message:

> Date: 16 Jan 1998 22:02:55 -0000
> From: Kay Ping <kping at nym.alias.net>
> Subject: Eternity - an alternative approach

> In one of the messages on the eternity thread someone suggested using
> radio signals. This is an interesting approach which certainly deserves
> further attention but digital radio requires special hardware which I prefer
> to avoid.

There is at least one way to do it with standard equipment, course it must
be 1-way only. The source takes the phone line from their standard 4800
modem and put it in the audio in (both should be 600 ohm, be shure to use a
matching transformer for isolation). At the other end you do the same sort
of thing but use the modem to decode the data. You can not have full-duplex
with this method, half-duplex only.

> Radio is also quite good at hiding the location of the transmitter - you
> tune your radio and the signals are just there, coming down your antenna.
> It takes special equipment to locate where they originated.

Yeah, another radio, a map, a ruler & pen, a omni-directional antenna, and a
car. Check out the ARRL for various antenna designs.

   |       The most powerful passion in life is not love or hate,       |
   |       but the desire to edit somebody elses words.                 |
   |                                  Sign in Ed Barsis' office         |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |