Crypto Kong penetration.

Ray Arachelian sunder at sundernet.com
Thu Jan 15 11:19:12 PST 1998

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, James A. Donald wrote:

> Secondly, PGP simply is not being adopted by the masses.  Of
> course right now, two weeks after release, Crypto Kong is not
> being adopted by the masses either, but with very little
> identity management, it is far easier for the masses to use.
>
> If you try and shove that identity stuff onto people they
> will not do it.  Too much like hard work.  They will happily
> let the government licensed authorities do it for them.  The
> PGP model clearly has not flown yet, and it is not going to
> fly.

IMHO, this is pure grade A bullshit.  If you included PGP in MsMail, and
Eudora and pine and elm from the get go, everyone would use it.  Poeple
use what they have and few learn about what they could use.  PGP for the
masses has been a widely discussed topic here.

Unless you can convice the mailer makers to include Crypto Kong in the
mailers, you're not gonna get any mass adoption either.  Still it's likely
to be much less than PGP anyway since it's already been out for ages.
Still there are plenty of plugins for Eudora to do PGP mail, and those who
know about it and need it use it.  The rest, well, they don't know and
won't know until someone snoops their mail and they get a bug up their
asses to get privacy.

Regardless of how good your program, if you ignore the basic facts and
stick to "Crypto Kong has feature X,Y,Z which PGP lacks" you won't get
anywhere either.

Mind you I'm not comparing PGP, nor Crypto Kong on any feature or security
level, just basic human nature.  If you get Microsoft to incorporate it in
every copy of win 98 and Office, you can bet fuckloads of people will use
it.  If you can get all the ISP's out there that offer service and
software to include it, you can bet a lot of people will use it, etc.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder at sundernet.com|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....