Microsoft Metaphors

Thomas Porter txporter at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 15 08:11:38 PST 1998

On Thu, Jan 15, 1998 at 10:09:09AM -0500, Declan McCullagh thoughtfully expounded:
> What are the best metaphors to use when talking about a browser and an
> operating system? Is the combination like a car and an engine, or a car and
> a roofrack? A pair of gloves?
>
> Or is it even useful to talk about a browser/OS metaphor in the case of
> Microsoft, since IE has been glued into the operating system in the form of
> .DLLs? Might that be more like the wheels of a car?

I might look at it like air conditioning in a car:  If present, it requires
significant alterations to the basic vehicle, and might be difficult to remove
cleanly, _but_ air conditioning in no way affects the basic operation of the
car, and cars can be bought without air conditioning.

Hmmmmm, actually A/C does affect the car's operation: uses more gas and
degrades performance!  A better metaphor than I thought.

Tom Porter                                       txporter at mindspring.com
   "I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and
    violence, I would advise violence." Mahatma Gandhi