(eternity) mailing list and activity

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 16:41:38 PST 1998

phelix at vallnet.com writes:
> On 11 Jan 1998 18:48:24 -0600, Adam Back <aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk> wrote:
> [secret splitting eternity data on servers]
>
> What prevents the operator of such a server from being charged with
> "conspiracy to provide child porn" or whatever?

I expect so.  I also expect the spooks will be the ones submitting the
child porn to the service.

> If he is holding a portion of such contraband, isn't he as liable as
> if he was holding the whole article(s)?

RICO may make holding a portion worse than the whole thing as it may
then be construed as a conspiracy, RICO allowing asset forfeiture.

Alternatively holding a portion makes it more difficult for the
attacker to determine who the holders are, and to mount a
multi-jurisdictional attack (eg seizing disks in multiple countries).

Not sure how it would work out in practice.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...