Talk of Banning Research into Human Cloning

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Mon Jan 12 13:02:28 PST 1998

At 12:32 PM -0800 1/12/98, Tim May wrote:

>Only a very few types of research are banned. And these are all ostensibly
>"national security" areas. Namely, chemical and biological warfare
>research, heavily regulated (private companies can do such research, but
>only with government approval, supervision, and generally _for_ the
>government). And nuclear weapons research (probably as part of the Atomic
>Energy Act).
>
>(If anyone can think of other "bans on research," besides weapons areas,
>let me know.)

Before others point this out, there are certain types of "public safety"
laws about what one can research or do. Laws about explosives, dangerous
chemicals, and pathogens.

(The "ban on recombinant DNA research," following the Asilomar Conference
in 1975, was a voluntary ban, and thus not a ban in the sense I am using
here. And it last only a couple of years, until more could be learned about
the potential danges of recombinant DNA work.)

Please respond to my main points, if you respond at all, not to these side
points.

--Tim May