rant on the morality of confidentiality

Blanc blancw at cnw.com
Sun Jan 11 22:10:57 PST 1998

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

>You're missing my point. If the society would benefit from a certain
behavior,
>it should not rely on coercion, but use economic motivation to encourage it.
>Clearly NSF doesn't work any better than NEA.

Nah, I saw your point, but just forgot to mention it.   I do agree with
you, except a bit with the part about the source of encouragement (of
course, I would agree against bringing coercion into the picture, banish
the thought).   To be even more precise about this, it is the ones in
society whom you might imagine should provide 'encouragement', or
'incentivization',  who need to develop an appreciation and recognition for
certain values, since they're aiming for real benefits.   Creative,
inventive people don't really need that much motivation, but it's their
potential market who could stand to 'graduate towards the light', so to
speak.  Then there would exist more educated, seeking, paying,
clients/investors.

In any case the creative types still have to, like most all other
enterprises, search for the right market, the willing investor, the
interested customer/client.  It's a great thing that the net can now bring
these two more easily together, helping each to find the other.  Even if
they still can't trust each other, but must resort to lawyers to keep
things clear & clean and moral.  (smiley)

    ..
Blanc