In God We Antitrust, from the Netly News

Raymond D. Mereniuk Raymond at fbn.bc.ca
Sat Jan 10 20:04:28 PST 1998

> Tim May <tcmay at got.net> writes:
> > The AMD K6 may not be quite the dog the K5 was,
>
> I've got a K5, seems like a fine CPU to me... around the performance
> of a P166 for about 1/2 the price.

>From a purist point of view the Intel Pentium processors are good
performance pieces.  The main problem with the Cyrix/IBM is very poor
math coprocessor performance.  The average user may never notice the
difference but the tests and real life use of Quake show that the
Cyrix/IBM is not of the same standard as the Pentium.

I have a Intel 166MMX labelled processor running just fine at 225 Mhz
(75 Mhz X 3).  You can't do the same thing with Cyrix/IBM processors,
maybe you can over-clock them one step.  I am a keen fan of
competition in the marketplace and I have two Cyrix/IBM processors in
the systems in my home.  I have not tried the AMD Pentium class
processors but I intend to buy one in the near future just to play
around with it.  In the past AMD was the king of over-clocking and
did things with the 486 chip that Intel could not, or chose not to.
I hope AMD again gains that distinction with their Pentium class
processors.

Maybe Tim May has the real inside scoop on the AMD K6 processors.
Certain segments of the market are commiting resources to the AMD K6
and you should see as many in the market as AMD can produce.  Tim
May's comments on yield problems at AMD could be very true as
resellers are having a problem acquiring  AMD K6s processors.

> Why do you say the K5 is a dog?
>
> K6 is similarly value for money.
>
> I also bought a AMD 486 120Mhz a while ago for similar value for money
> reasons.
>
> I thought for a while Cyrix or AMD had faster processors available
> than Intel.  (Just prior to to Pentium II, where the Pentium Pro was
> highly priced and for some applications slower than an Pentium clocked
> at the same speed).
>
> I may not be off to buy AMD stock, but I like competition, and will
> buy AMD or Cyrix any time they have a cheaper and compatible product.
>
> Adam
> --
> Now officially an EAR violation...
> Have *you* exported RSA today? --> http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/
>
> print pack"C*",split/\D+/,`echo "16iII*o\U@{$/=$z;[(pop,pop,unpack"H*",<>
> )]}\EsMsKsN0[lN*1lK[d2%Sa2/d0<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<J]dsJxp"|dc`

Virtually

Raymond D. Mereniuk
Raymond at fbn.bc.ca