rant on the morality of confidentiality

Jim Gillogly jim at acm.org
Thu Jan 8 05:25:52 PST 1998

Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> scientists who agree to government secrecy to develop
> their inventions are agreeing to a lot more than
> mere secrecy. they are committing to a paradigm that
> is at odds with science itself, which only advances through
> the open literature.

Why limit your annoyance to government scientists?  Scientists
in private industry are in the same position, developing (e.g.)
algorithms and analytical methods protected by trade secrets.
Society recognizes this tendency and tries to advance science
anyway by offering patent protection.  You don't make money by
giving away your intellectual capital.  Seems to me that schools
and independently wealthy scientists/foundations are the only
ones who don't merit your censure on this count.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	Trewesday, 17 Afteryule S.R. 1998, 13:04