Silly Shrinkwrapped Encryption

Adam Back aba at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Wed Jan 7 16:37:42 PST 1998

Bill Frantz <frantz at netcom.com> writes:

> [lotus notes 24+40 GAK design]
>
> It seems to me that if you step on the correct part of the message, you zap
> the encrypted 24 bits, and cut NSA out of the loop.  Of course the receiver
> could notice and refuse to decrypt, which would require some software
> hacking to defeat, but that is certainly doable.

Well if that were all they were doing you could just fill it with
random numbers, or encrypt the wrong 24 bits of random data with the
NSA's public key, etc. and the receiving software couldn't tell
without access to DIRNSA's private GAKking key.

However, I figure that they could do this... encrypt to the recipient
and include in the GAK packet the RSA padding used to encrypt the 24
bits.

The recipient gets the 24 bits anyway because he can decrypt the main
recipient field; with the padding he can re-create the RSA encrypted
GAK packet.

Not that we want to help the GAKkers or anything :-)

Still as you say even that would likely be a single byte patch or
whatever to skip the test.

Also as William notes, don't use the crap -- it's only 64 bits anyway
even for non-export version, and their reputed motives in smoothing a
path to domestic GAK, and even in buying into the KRAP program might
be enough to move some to boycott them even if there crypto key sizes
were reasonable, which they are not.

Adam
--
Now officially an EAR violation...