Too many "Internet Conferences" in Washington (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Wed Jan 7 12:41:30 PST 1998

Forwarded message:

> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 12:30:42 -0800 (PST)
> From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
> Subject: Re: Too many "Internet Conferences" in Washington

> Attendance at this conference will be by invitation only. About 35
> individuals will represent a
> variety of backgrounds and perspectives including the computing industry
> (such as Internet service
> providers, network administrators, and providers of "anonymizing"
> services) the legal community,
> professional societies, academic institutions, law enforcement agencies,
> and other agencies of
> government.

This is the real fault with the conference mentality...

How can anyone reasonably expect 35 people, invitation only or not, to have
a clue about any aspect of the industry let alone some sort of birds eye
view?

I would wager that if we took the top 35 ISP's in the US they couldn't come
up with a cohesive expression of viewpoint that would have a lifetime
measured in anything more than a few weeks.

Pure hubris.

   |      Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make       |
   |      violent revolution inevitable.                                |
   |                                          John F. Kennedy           |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |