Mobile phones used as trackers

Steve Schear schear at lvdi.net
Thu Jan 1 11:14:35 PST 1998

>                Mobile phones used as trackers
>                BY MICHAEL EVANS AND NIGEL HAWKES
>
>  MOBILE PHONES can be used as tracking devices to
>  pinpoint users within a few hundred yards, according to a
>  report yesterday.
>
>  Sonntags Zeitung, published in Zurich, said Swiss police
>  had been secretly tracking mobile phone users through a
>  telephone company computer.
>
>  "Swisscom [the state-owned telephone company] has
>  stored data on the movements of more than a million
>  mobile phone users and can call up the location of all its
>  mobile subscribers down to a few hundred metres and
>  going back at least half a year," the paper reports, adding:
>  "When it has to, it can exactly reconstruct, down to the
>  minute, who met whom, where and for how long for a
>  confidential tte--tte."

Anyone who desires not to be constantly tracked should carry a one-way pager and keep your cell phone turned off.  This way you can return calls when it suits you and from a location of your choosing. In some U.S. localities I understand, it it possible to rent cellphone w/o offering any form of ID, only a deposit to cover the instrument and a prepayment for the airtime  This may be illegal in some EU countries.  To keep someone from correlating your pager info and cellular you'd want your callers to send 'coded' info, rather than phone numbers.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred, see  	http://www.pgp.com and
				http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html

RSA fingerprint: FE90 1A95 9DEA 8D61  812E CCA9 A44A FBA9
RSA key: http://keys.pgp.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=0x55C78B0D
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
Lammar Laboratories       |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: schear at lvdi.net