New technology around the corner [slashdot.org]

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Feb 18 17:24:11 PST 1998

At 4:02 PM -0800 2/18/98, Anonymous wrote:
>Tim May wrote:
>
>> Or how about plastic cubes that can store terabytes....
>

>They work fine.  Just keep it in liquid nitrogen or you'll lose all your
>data.

Fine, I'll keep them in LN. Tell me where I can buy these terabyte cubes?
This would be news to Rentzepis and his cohorts.

>Backyard fabs?  Quite doable with MBE or electron beam lithography.  Just
>don't expect to do any mass-production on such a setup.

Neither MBE nor EBL handle more than a tiny subset of the steps needed. For
example, diffusion drives, implants, reactive etches, chem-mechanical
polishing, and a dozen other steps.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.