Squelch discussions of the "spam problem"

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Feb 18 15:34:53 PST 1998

Several lists I'm on are beating the spam problem once again. What to do
about it, whether government should step in, and so on.

Look, folks, I guarantee that the more everyone talks about the "spam
problem," even if most of us don't think it's a pressing problem, the more
likely it is that spam legislation will be introduced. And that won't be
good, whatever one thinks of spam.

Congress operates by catering to special interests and popular calls for
"action." Doesn't matter to them what action they take, so long as they can
hold up their "Digital Protectin and Children's Safe Surfing Act of 1998"
legislation.

The more jostling and chatter that goes on, the more likely Congressional
aides will start drawing up legislative language.

So, even if you think spam is a serious problem, I urge you to suppress the
desire to throw your two cents in on what kind of a horrible thing it is,
how its corrupting the nation's precious bodily fluids, and how *something*
must be done!

I guarantee you won't like the results you get, no matter your views on spam.

--Tim May

Just Say No to "Big Brother Inside"
Higher Power: 2^3,021,377   | black markets, collapse of governments.