I was auto-outed by an IMG tag in HTML spam

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Wed Feb 18 08:01:25 PST 1998

William H. Geiger III enscribed thusly:
> In <37a52bf54844994eb90c8e8af06b07b7 at anon.efga.org>, on 02/18/98
>    at 03:00 AM, Anonymous <anon at anon.efga.org> said:

> >Use mail readers that don't automatically process HTML and
> >connect to image servers, accept cookies, or run javascripts.  You are
> >being watched by tricky defective, er, detective types. es.

> Several things here:

	:
	: - Point 1 deleted...
	:

> 2. AutoProcessing of Attachments:

> This is *allways* a BadThing(TM). Not only is it an obvious security risk
> it is a PITA for the user. I would be rally pissed if my mailer launched a
> V-Card app everytime someone thought it was a GoodThing(TM) to add these
> attachments to every message they sent out.

	Oh it gets better than that!  I know of one person who got hit with
a specially formated porno-spam message.  When he opened it, the html message
did an autorestart on his browser and <you guessed it> there he was browsing
the porno site!  What a convenient feature!  Especially with you boss and
co-workers in the vicinity!

	Needless to say, that person has is now a rabid anti-html in E-Mail
fanatic!

	:
	: - Remainder of message deleted...
	:

> William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii
> Geiger Consulting    Cooking With Warp 4.0
>
> Author of E-Secure - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice
> PGP & MR/2 the only way for secure e-mail.
> OS/2 PGP 2.6.3a at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgpmr2.html
	Mike
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 925-8248   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/