TEMPEST open-source definition version 0.1alpha (fwd)

Ryan Lackey rdl at mit.edu
Tue Feb 10 22:26:18 PST 1998

> confusing TEMPEST with NEMA

No, I am certain they're TEMPEST cases; they're government security vendors,
with names that include the word TEMPEST or Security or whatever, and their
prices are huge.  And when I said "I'd like to pay COD", they said "we only
accept government purchase forms."  I have a plain NEMA 19" rack with power
and fans, it's quite different.

Black Unicorn's post about the demise of cash is particularly true when dealing
with vendors who want government POs :)

The people at hacking cons who are selling TEMPEST cases are selling what
I believe are the real thing acquired through a variety of methods, some
legal, others perhaps not.  Usually they contain crufty old PCs, but one
guy had some really nice fully-enclosed TEMPEST-compliant racks.  They had
serious power filters at the bottom, massive fans, and shielded fan i/o.
They were basically free (a few hundred dollars), but I couldn't motor freight
them from the location to my home, since I didn't have anything but cash at
the time.

ObNonCrypto: Waiting until 10 days before fc98 to buy airline tickets when
the cheap fare expired an hour ago was SO SO SO stupid.  Like taking 4 c-notes
and lighting them on fire.  Oh well.
--
Ryan Lackey
rdl at mit.edu