How to profit from writing open source (was: free software)

David Miller dm0 at avana.net
Tue Feb 10 19:34:20 PST 1998

A while back there was a thread on different models of
how to profit from free software.  I have a few
additions that I don't think were mentioned, albeit late.
Ok.  Way late.

The Data Fellows model - supply (ssh) Unix source code
        free, but charge for Windows (clients) after a
        30-day trial period.  Yes.

The Joel McNamara model - give the (Private Idaho)
        software away and go fight forest fires and
        have your children profit from a better world.

--David Miller

middle  rival
devil rim lad