Driver Licenses

Duncan Frissell frissell at panix.com
Tue Feb 10 04:27:09 PST 1998

At 02:12 AM 2/10/98 +0100, Lucky Green wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Tim May wrote:
>> If a U.S. Passport is not considered enough I.D., because it doesn't have
>> the Big Brother Inside magstripe, one walks away from the transaction.
>
>Just as a data point, in the State of Oregon, an US passport is *not*
>valid ID for alcohol purchases. Magstripe or no magstripe.
>
>-- Lucky Green <shamrock at cypherpunks.to> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.
>   "Tonga? Where the hell is Tonga? They have Cypherpunks there?"

So I guess foreigners can't buy booze in Oregon at all.

The new (last 10 years) passports don't have a mag stripe but do have the ICAO machine- reabable text string including a replay of the Passport info together with checksum digits.  There is also space for a National ID Number for those countries which have one but it is blank on US passports since we don't have a national ID.

DCF