Driver Licenses

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Sun Feb 8 12:46:23 PST 1998

> Coincidentally, that day when I went into my grocery store to get a six
> pack of brew, I got carded.  I handed my new little card over and the
> teller and rather than looking at my date of birth she started to swipe
> the damn thing through her credit card reader machine!
> I stopped her, grabbed my DL back and told her to manually enter the date
> as they have always done.  When she explained that it is against store
> policy and that she 'had' to swipe any IDs that had the strip I got my
> keys outta my pocket and all but removed the strip from the back of my
> little nemesis. Handed it back to her and told her to swipe away; it is
> against MY policy to provide the store with my address. I don't want any
> damn pepsi coupons mailed to me each time I buy coke, or northern tissue
> coupons when I buy charmin. Nor do I want the store collecting
> information on how much beer I buy.

Odd.  When I first got a card with the stripe, I was a little paranoid so
I took a bar magnet and erased it.  Actually, I don't know whether my
eraser worked because nobody has ever asked to swipe my card thru a
reader.  I got a wallet with a plastic fold-out so if someone asks to see
my id, I open my wallet and show it to them, then put it away.