Driver Licenses

Anonymous remailer at htp.org
Sun Feb 8 11:49:42 PST 1998

Recently had to renew my DL here in Florida. While we are not forced to give up our fingerprints (yet)we have a new little magnetic strip similar to those on a credit card or ATM card and I can see this as a way for the State to start holding more and more data about us on these I.D.'s (like fingerprints, criminal records, etc...  Coincidentally, that day when I went into my grocery store to get a six pack of brew, I got carded.  I handed my new little card over and the teller and rather than looking at my date of birth she started to swipe the damn thing through her credit card reader machine!  I stopped her, grabbed my DL back and told her to manually enter the date as they have always done.  When she explained that it is against store policy and that she 'had' to swipe any IDs that had the strip I got my keys outta my pocket and all but removed the strip from the back of my little nemesis. Handed it back to her and told her to swipe away; it is against MY policy to provide !
!
!
the store with my address. I don't want any damn pepsi coupons mailed to me each time I buy coke, or northern tissue coupons when I buy charmin. Nor do I want the store collecting information on how much beer I buy.

Sure, I want my alchohol purchases going to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and the other State departments...like hell.

My question is, how much information can be stored on these strips?