the best justice/kinds of monopolies

bill.stewart at pobox.com bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Feb 8 02:23:23 PST 1998

At 02:47 PM 2/6/98 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>(Yes, yes, I know some of you will be tempted to cite the official line
>that the Postal Service is no longer a government agency. Well, this is a
>distinction without a difference. The USPS retains governmental protections
>against competition, has government-like powers and protections, and is
>still run by a "Postmaster General," not a Chairman of the Board or
>President or CEO. It ain't FedEx or Airborne. Or even UPS, which emulates
>government agencies.)

I don't care if they call their boss Grand Wazoo Snail Mail Evangelist;
there are software and ice cream companies that use non-standard titles too.
"Postal Inspector" is a much more serious problem title, since they
seem to have quasi-police powers to do criminal investigations of
postal offenses like pornography and pyramid scams and running competing
formatted-tree-product information delivery services.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com