"Ken and Brenda Kingston" <kingston at cheerful.com>: Telephone Scam Alert

robin parker nibor55 at juno.com
Sat Feb 7 17:21:55 PST 1998

From: "Ken and Brenda Kingston" <kingston at cheerful.com>
To: "Bill Manago" <managob at primenet.com>,"Ken Kingston"
<kingstob at fhu.disa.mil>,"Mark & Kay Barrett" <msblkb at primenet.com>,"Mike
& Dianne Higgs" <homeys at primenet.com>,"Mike Roberts" <n9lem at aol.com>,
"Rachel M Parker" <xyz987 at juno.com>,"Robin Parker" <nibor55 at juno.com>
Subject: Telephone Scam Alert
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 20:07:14 -0700

I want to let all my friends know about this scam going around.  It does
not matter who your local or long distance carrier is, this can cost you
lot of money.  Please read and if you get a call like this, report it to
the police and the FCC.  If you have a caller ID, get the number too.

Subject: High Priority message

High Priority **

On Saturday,  24 January 1998, Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base,
New Orleans' Quarterdeck received a telephone call from an individual
identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician that was running a
test on our telephone lines.  He stated that to complete the test the
QMOW should touch nine (9), zero (0), pound sign (#) and hang up.
Luckily, the QMOW was suspicious and refused.  Upon contacting the
telephone company we were informed that by pushing 90# you end up giving
the individual that called you access to your telephone line and
allows them to place a long distance telephone call, with the charge
appearing on your telephone call.  We were further informed that this
scam
has
been originating from many of the local jails/prisons.  Please "pass the
word".

Brenda

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]