Lets check this out

Anonymous nobody at REPLAY.COM
Fri Feb 6 18:03:21 PST 1998

sphantom wrote:

> If someone named SandMan asks you to check out his page on the WEB
>
> DO NOT!!!
>
> It is at www.geocities.com/vienna/6318
>
> This page hacks into your C:/ drive.  DO NOT GO THERE

All I see there is a few midi files and some badly-written HTML.
Nothing there to hack into my C:/ drive.  I don't even have a C: drive.
If you were running a more secure operating system, you wouldn't either.

> I am curious how this person does it.

You obviously haven't been reading this list very long.  There are lots
of way to do nasty things to microslob windoze, including: Buffer overruns
in IE, javascript bugs in web browsers, launching applications thru
mime-types, SMB bugs (oob-attack, cd ..\, and others), macro (and other)
viruses, buffer overruns in the tcp stack (oversized pings, etc), as well
as the near infinite number of possible active-x exploits.