The War on Some Debts

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Feb 3 21:02:28 PST 1998

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Eric Cordian wrote:

> In a further blatant erosion of Constitutional rights, the California
> Supreme Court has ruled that a person owing child support who fails to
> seek or accept work may be jailed and fined for contempt of court, and
> that this does not violate any Constitutional bans on involuntary
> servitude or imprisonment for debt.
>
> This reverses nearly a century of contrary rulings.  Look for this
> "improved" interpretation to be expanded to other kinds of debts and
> judgments as well, as soon as massive public acceptance of it for the
> carefully picked child support issue is engineered.

Expected targets:

-- Student loans  (There are already a number of nasty collection methods
made legal to "crack down" on those who are behind in their payments.)

-- State and local taxes

-- Garnishments of wages

> The credit card companies are no doubt carefully analyzing this decision
> as we speak.

As well as anyone else in the collections business.

alan at ctrl-alt-del.com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.