Microsoft

Anonymous anon at anon.efga.org
Tue Feb 3 15:07:56 PST 1998

>    so... we will have multiple choice of OS: M$ on Intel,
>    M$ on SGI, M$ on Alpha --and SUN goes down the tubes as
>    they will never capitulate.  M$ will bury IBM with their
>    NT alliance with Ahmdal who clones all the IBM iron
>    --which is fading against the clustered servers. IBM
>    long since gave in on OS/2 versus M$ --it may figure in
>    their corporate strategy, but unless they are willing to
>    update past Netscape 2.02 they will lose that as well
>    --in fact you can no longer any of the IBM PCs with OS/2
>    preloaded --except by special order: in quantity.

I really am not so worried about Microsoft's software strategy as I am
about their communication infrastructure strategy.  Every time I go to
a computer show or swap meet, I see stacks of Linux CDs selling like hot
cakes.  Most anyone with a clue who doesn't like Billy's crapware knows
precisely where to find something better.

What concerns me more is the partnerships that Billy & Co. are making
with internet providers, especially cable & DSL.  Many of the cable
modem service providers have notoriously bad reputations for using packet
filters to block stuff they don't like.  These days, any internet
provider who tries that shit usually finds its customers going elsewhere,
but when there's only one or two cable providers and Mickeysoft owns them
all, then what?

The solution, of course, is encrypted IP, something which has been moving
far too slowly.  Frankly I'm pretty disappointed with the apparent
unwillingness of several IETF members to address the obvious MITM attacks,
such as CBC cut-and-paste.  It is going to royally suck when we have to
redo it because the protocol didn't work the first time.