The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of Anonymity"...)

Attila T. Hun attila at hun.org
Mon Feb 2 11:03:51 PST 1998

on or about 980202:0109, in <199802020709.BAA27402 at einstein.ssz.com>,
    Jim Choate <ravage at ssz.com> was purported to have
    expostulated to perpetuate an opinion:

>I've been doing it for many years. Don't have a checking account, don't
>own a credit card. I do have a saving account with a local credit union
>and go in every 3-4 days and withdraw what I need for the next 3-4 days.
>Pay every bill in cash or money order.

first, the use of the credit union includes your SSN and
they have a total cash transaction at least on your primary
expenses.  if you have "consulting" income which can be
converted to cash, and dont deposit it, then you can do you
'high on the hawg' living with the cash --until they bring
the IRS CID along and look at your 'imputed' income which is
almost indefensible in their kangaroo courts.

secondly, you have not dealt with a federal case where there
is implied evidence as they find a clerk in the usual store
you use...

 [snip]
>I'm going to go tomorrow and buy a new laptop at around $1500.

    what are you getting for $1500? out here in the boonies
    we dont see those kind of prices.

>I intend
>on paying with a wad of $100 bills. Bet you they don't look twice nor
>will they ask for ID.

    well, in the first place, you live in Texas where the
    attitude to the Feds is rather strong --not as strong as our
    attitude in rural Utah where the usual transaction is in
    cash.  out here, a Fed is the same as a revenuer in Eastern
    Kentucky or Tennessee.  reminds me of the Fed approaching a
    child and telling him he'd give him $5 if he took him to his
    father (still) --the boy asked for the money up front. when
    the Fed asked why, the boy said: "...'cause you aint coming
    back".

>I've actualy never had a problem paying cash, never had anyone turn real
>money down...

    I did-- tried to lay $14K out for a Mercedes (25 years ago).
    they wouldnt take it.  so I went and picked up two $7K
    cashiers from two different banks.  same thing with a pair
    of Lycoming IO540 aircraft engines:  2 8s and a 9 --stay
    under the $10K transaction.

    of course, if you want to take care of the problem:  use a
    chartered blind "Queens' trust over an Antilles NV, a Dutch
    BV, and an FL AG --of course with a friendly banker who just
    arranges to have the bill paid from a correspondent US bank
    --and who pays your European American Express card for
    you...  need cash under $10K?  use an FL bank card.
    Both the Antilles and Dutch banks are porous, so they
    remain shells paid from the bottom up.

    so where is digital cash?  probably the most amusing article
    on digital cash is the Neal Stephenson article:  "The Great
    Simolean Caper" which was in:  Time Mag's Special Issue,
    Spring 1995 Volume 145, No.  12.  yes, it presents "our"
    side of it, but shows the backside and obvious ammo for
    Freeh...  it does not seem to be available on the Time
    server, so anyone who wants to read it:

         http://www.primenet.com/~attila/pages/simolean.html

    until we really do have a virtual country and virtual
    cash, they will always be able to trace it.  As I
    understand it, the banks keep a record on anything over
    $1k cash which means there is a master list which can
    be sorted and filtered. over $10K you must fill out the
    IRS form; for international you are required to file
    Dept of the Treasury form 515.