The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of Anonymity"...) (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sun Feb 1 23:09:37 PST 1998

Forwarded message:

> Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 00:51:11 -0600
> From: Black Unicorn <unicorn at schloss.li>
> Subject: The Continued Attack on Cash (Was: "The Right of Anonymity"...)

> Sound paranoid?  Try this.  I'd like everyone who reads this to try and go
> 45 days without using plastic or writing a check.  Just 45 days.  If you
> don't grow alarmist very quickly (like in the first week) I'd like to hear
> your experience.

I've been doing it for many years. Don't have a checking account, don't own
a credit card. I do have a saving account with a local credit union and
go in every 3-4 days and withdraw what I need for the next 3-4 days. Pay
every bill in cash or money order. I'm not going into how I invest my
excess capital. If my employer needs me to travel I do it on their plastic.
The only irritating thing I find is that I can't walk into grocery stores any
more and get money orders larger than $700 and many won't do it for more than
$400. I have to pay my rent each month with a $400 and a $397 money order in
order to meet the $797 amound due because I'm too lazy to drive the extra
6-8 blocks to the one who will do the $700 money orders. Other than that I
don't have a problem at all.

I'm going to go tomorrow and buy a new laptop at around $1500. I intend on
paying with a wad of $100 bills. Bet you they don't look twice nor will they
ask for ID.

I've actualy never had a problem paying cash, never had anyone turn real
money down...

   |       The most powerful passion in life is not love or hate,       |
   |       but the desire to edit somebody elses words.                 |
   |                                  Sign in Ed Barsis' office         |
   |                                                 ravage at ssz.com     |